Eastern Point Lighthouse from Finisterre, Gloucester depicts the impressive gardens of Mrs. John Clay’s sprawling estate in full bloom, with the namesake beacon standing watch across the harbor. Built in 1888 by John Lewis of Cincinnati, Ohio, the estate was purchased by the Clays, of Chicago, around 1901 to be used as a summer home, and Mrs. Clay, an avid gardener, created the spectacular garden which Graves brilliantly captures. Mrs. Clay passed away in 1923, followed eleven years later by her husband, after which the property was eventually sold and is now the site of the Eastern Point Yacht Club.
More information about this painting...
In the early 1920s, Graves’ career flourished. The National Academy of Design elected him an Associate Member in 1926 and while maintaining studios in New York City and Kennebunkport, he began exhibiting at Ainslie, Macbeth, and Babcock Galleries, and continued to show regularly with Vose Galleries. The Great Depression and the evolution of more modern art movements eventually resulted in fewer sales, yet Graves continued to paint the flowers, gardens, and historic homes that brought him so much happiness. He passed away in 1936, and Vose Galleries hosted a Memorial Exhibition in early 1937.
Private family collection for two generations (first generation resided in the Scituate, Massachusetts, area; current generation resides in North Easton, Massachusetts)
Eastern Point Lighthouse from Finisterre, Gloucester
by Abbott Fuller Graves (1859-1936)
20 1/4 x 24 1/4 inches
Signed lower left: Abbott GravesPrice upon request